Thursday, December 31, 2009

Reflecting on 2009

Wow, what a wild and crazy year 2009 has been for me and my family! Let's see, it started with a newborn which has probably contributed to a good majority of our excitement this year. There were LOTS of firsts (and seconds and thirds for that matter!) that we have encountered in 2009. Most of them were awesome, although some of them I hope to never experience again. One thing is for sure, I have SO many things to be thankful for. Even on days when I am feeling down, I try to remind myself of the many blessings I enjoy each day in my life and my faith which is stronger than ever.

The year started out with the loss of my beloved Aunt Bird. Talk about the circle of life, I just never knew how it would feel when death hit me so close after the birth of my daughter....I was fortunate enough to be with her when she left us. I didn't want it to happen, but it was obviously out of my control, and I am happy that I could be with my sweet Aunt Bird when I know that she needed me most. All of us in the room needed each other, and the experience has brought us all even closer together which I didn't think was possible. I am so thankful for my family and how close we all are. In the days after her passing, people kept commenting on the circle of life, and that is what has stuck with me through this year. I can't believe it happened to me. I brought life, and I lost life. It seems so unfair but it is what it is. I am just thankful that she, one of the very few people that I let visit me at the hospital, came to see Devin. The pride and excitement on her face will be with me for the rest of my life. She held her in the same way that people tell me my grandfather held me shortly before he passed. The image will forever be in my heart and my mind. She saw her one more time a few days before she got sick. I will never forget the day she found out I was pregnant. It was something she was so excited about and something she knew from the moment she saw me the first time after I knew. I will always remember her smile and especially her laugh and contagious cheerful spirit! I am thankful for all the many lessons my Aunt Bird taught me about life. As silly as I thought some of them were when I was young, she was so right about so many of them. I am sure I will continue to thank her for her lessons.

As hard as it was, we had to keep moving forward in 2009. Fortunately, most of the rest of it was filled with lots of exciting things with my sweet baby girl! It was easy to focus on how much joy she has brought to my life each and every day after such a humbling start to the year. Her first smile, her first illness, the first time she sat, her first words, her first time to pull up, her first steps, her first tantrums, her first birthday and so many more first that I can't even begin to name. Like I said, I have so much to be thankful for!

Kortnee came to visit in late June and I feel like we had one of the best Summer's ever. She loved her camp, and loved her sister even more. She made new friends this year and had a lot of fun with old friends from here. I am so thankful that even though we don't get to see Kortnee as much as we would like, when she is here, it is like she has always been here. Devin ADORES her big sissy, and I would think it is probably safe to say that Kortnee feels the same way about Devin. We enjoy having Kortnee here with us any chance we get. I just wish there were more "Summer breaks" so that we would get to see her for more longer periods throughout the year.

Over the Summer, we got to have a visit from both Chris' brother and his family as well as his mother and her husband. Oh what a fun time we had. It was during the week of his birthday which was a great excuse for a party, and a wonderful time filled with all of his family that lives here in town! We had gatherings with my family as well and also enjoyed those to the fullest!

We have welcomed a new niece, Olive, to our family, and I have also welcomed many of my dear friend's babies to this world in 2009.

The year has ended on a little bit of a harder note with my mother being sick. She is finally on the road to recovery and I am so very thankful for that as well!

All in all, 2009 was a great year, but I suspect 2010 can be even better!

Happy New Year to all!

No comments: